Whole wheat bread is defined as the perishable product resulting from the baking of a dough obtained by mixing whole wheat flour, edible salt and drinking water. All this is fermented by species of micro organism typical of bread fermentation.
Although, the nutritional value of the substances depends on the degree of extraction of the flour and on whether, during the bread making process, the dough has been enriched in them. Wholemeal bread provides many of these substances thanks to the fact that the cereal grain preserves the cover and has not been subjected to any refinement process, according to the portal Take care Plus.
For this reason, more and more experts are advising to include wholemeal bread in the diet due to its composition, since it contains a greater amount of fiber, minerals, vitamins and phytochemicals, that is, non-nutrient compounds with beneficial effects for health. .
However, the consumption of bread among the population has decreased. “Personally I think they like it less, but also many times it is not easy to access it, especially when eating away from home. Lack of knowledge is also important, and not only in relation to the consumption of whole grains but of cereals in general”, says Beatriz Navia, Professor of Nutrition at the Faculty of Pharmacy of the Complutense University of Madrid.
It should be noted that, in general, it is made with seeds from different cereals, but the base can come from white flour, that is, refined from various types of cereal or even white and wholemeal flours can be mixed.
In this case, “these products do not have to be healthier than those made solely with white flour,” according to Moncho López, from the Levadura Madre bakeries in Madrid. If wholemeal flour is used, and seeds of several cereals are added, it can be considered as multigrain wholemeal bread.
This is “the most natural bread”, says the artisan. But why? This type of product contains all the nutrients of the cereal. “A grain of wheat has three parts: endosperm, bran, and germ.”
Properties of wholemeal bread
- The remarkable thing about the set of nutrients that make up whole wheat bread is that its properties can vary depending on its preparation.
- According to nutrition experts, carbohydrates should constitute 50-60% of the daily meal and, for this, bread is an excellent source to obtain it thanks to one of its components: starch.
- As for the nutrients in this type of bread, you can find: water, fiber, carbohydrates, proteins, luteins and phosphocholine, lacking others such as purines or cholesterol.
- The main vitamins that wholemeal bread provides are from group B3, B1 and B30, in addition to vitamins K and E. Among the minerals that make it up, sodium, potassium and phosphorus stand out. Although it also includes others such as magnesium, selenium and iron.
- On the other hand, due to its low glycemic index and low blood glucose, it reduces the demand for insulin. Therefore, it is also beneficial for patients with diabetes and, even more so, type 2 diabetes.
How to know which is the true whole wheat bread?
If people want to eat the best bread and take advantage of all the properties of the cereal, they should look at the label and make sure that the list of ingredients indicates whether the bread is made from whole grain or whole grain.
And it is that, it is not enough to look at its appearance since, “if we only base ourselves on its color, it can be confused with another type that is made from refined white flour to which a percentage of bran is added, in around 1%, to give it an integral appearance”, warns Moncho López.