Fasting consists of the restriction of all kinds of food. However, depending on their purpose, some fruits and drinks can be consumed. This activity is carried out for a religious, healthy or weight loss reason, as the case may be.
One of the diets that has become more relevant is intermittent fasting, which is a method that is not recommended for everyone, and should be guided by a nutritionist or health expert, since it consists of restricting food intake for a certain time, for which it is considered that it can contribute to weight loss. Meanwhile, there are several ways to do this type of fast. The Mayo Clinic explains three:
- A 16-hour fast: for eight hours, a person must consume food. Subsequently, for the next 16 hours you should restrict your intake.
- One day yes, one day no: This fast is alternate, which consists of eating as usual, but intermittently. However, on the day that no food is consumed, it is recommended to eat less than 500 calories.
- Two days of fasting: The American research entity explains that during five days of the week you should have a normal eating plan, and during the other two, you should not eat food.
To the list of diets, adds the chronodiet, which according to a publication of better with health and written by the nutritionist Saúl Sánchez, this technique can help prevent diabetes and avoid weight gain, since it consists of eating before nightfall, because the timing of meals does influence not only digestion but also metabolism.
But although these two diets can have favorable results, it is suggested not to start any without first visiting a nutritionist, to avoid health complications.
Drinks that can be consumed during a fast
The following liquids can be consumed, however, they are according to the health and purpose of those who initiate a fast.
- Water: This drink is essential not only for fasting but also for the health of the body, since its adequate intake can prevent dehydration and avoid putting a person’s life at risk.
Likewise, its consumption prevents the appearance of diseases or counteracts pre-existing ones. For example, it helps the proper functioning of the kidneys; Added to this is the strengthening of the immune system, whose function is to protect the body from foreign agents that can damage it.
Added to the list is the energy it gives the body to carry out each of its activities. Therefore, it is essential during a physical training.
- Natural infusions: These drinks can not only hydrate the body, but their multiple properties give it energy. However, it is recommended to verify that there is no allergic reaction or effect that could be harmful to the body.
- The coffee: its main substance is caffeine, which gives the body energy. Its excessive consumption is not suggested because it can have negative effects on the central nervous system, making it difficult to sleep, for example.
The Mayo Clinic, recommends drinking a maximum of 4 cups of coffee a day. But women who are pregnant should confirm their adequate intake with their doctor.
Meanwhile, the accompaniment of a nutritionist can help create an eating plan that collaborates with the end of the fast and benefits the body without putting a person’s health at risk.