Almonds are a dry fruit that has multiple benefits for the human body, among which the reduction of cholesterol in the blood stands out.“Because more than half of its fats are healthy (65% monounsaturated, 26% polyunsaturated) and less than 10% are saturated fatsits consumption helps reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) in the blood, which also reduces the risk of suffering from cardiovascular diseases. Gastrolab.
The Spanish Nutrition Foundation details the nutritional composition for every 100 grams of edible portion of almonds:
- Energy (Kcal) 604
- Proteins (g) 20
- Total lipids (g) 53.5
- saturated FA (g) 4.24
- FA monounsaturated (g) 36.66
- FA polyunsaturated (g) 10.03
- w-3 (g)* 0.256
- C18:2 Linoleic acid (v-6) (g) 9.77
- Cholesterol (mg/1000 kcal) 0
- Carbohydrates (g) 3.5
- Fiber (g) 14.3
- Water (g) 8.7
- Calcium (mg) 254
- Iron (mg) 4.2
- Iodine (µg) 2
- Magnesium (mg) 258
- Zinc (mg) 1.7
- Sodium (mg) 6
- Sodium (mg) 6
- Phosphorus (mg) 510
- Selenium (μg) 4
- Thiamine (mg) 0.24
- Riboflavin (mg) 0.67
- Niacin equivalents (mg) 5.3
- Vitamin B6 (mg) 0.1
- Folate (μg) 96
- Vitamin B12 (μg
- Vitamin C (mg)
- Vitamin A: Eq. Retinol (μg)
- Vitamin D (μg) 0
- Vitamin E (mg) 20
Almonds are a healthy food to include in a balanced diet. “This fruit highlights its contribution of vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, choline carotene, E and A, polyphenols, and essential minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, zinc, copper, manganese and selenium. For this reason, specialists consider that eating a handful of almonds daily or on a regular basis is adequate for health, as long as you are a healthy person, “he details. Gastrolab.
This fruit is also characterized as an ideal complement for people who are in the process of losing weight, because almonds have a satiating effect, which helps regulate appetite. An investigation published in the journal European Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that participants who ate a handful of almonds every day experienced reduced hunger pangs without gaining body weight. And they are suitable for everyone because, as they contain a low glycemic index, they are indicated for people with diabetes”, reports the portal The vanguard.
The Health 180 website also mentions other benefits of this food:
- They are a protein option for those who are vegetarian or vegan.
- They include monounsaturated fats that provide protection to the cardiovascular system.
- It provides calcium, phosphorus, potassium, iron, zinc and magnesium.
- It is characterized by being a great antioxidant, since it contains vitamins B and E.
- It contributes positively to digestion and to prevent constipation. Additionally, it helps purify the body.
How to take advantage of the benefits of almonds?
The portal better with health points out that almonds are usually consumed in salads, smoothies or desserts. They can also reap their benefits through healthy recipes, such as fruit salads or trail mixes. Almonds are a great option as snack to snack during the day.
Recipe with almonds
The portal homemania explains the steps to prepare a healthy recipe with almonds:
- 200 g of lettuce.
- 120 g of Manchego cheese.
- 1 tomato.
- 30 g of sliced almonds.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Wash the lettuce very well for the salad. It is advisable to wash it under lock and key, without using soap or other types of products. Dry it and chop it finely.
- Peel the tomato, cut it and medium pieces.
- Cut the cheese into cubes.
- Toast the almonds in a pan without oil.
- Add all ingredients to a mug and stir.
- Add a little oil or drops of vinegar.
- Serve and enjoy.