Abdominal bloating is usually caused by overeating. When this condition occurs, people have the sensation of having a full stomach. Bloating is a visible or measurable increase in the size of the abdomen. People often describe abdominal symptoms as bloating, especially if those symptoms don’t seem to be relieved by burping, passing gas, or having a bowel movement”, explain the experts of Mayo Clinic, Non-profit entity dedicated to clinical practice, education and research.
Sometimes this condition can be caused by several factors. Medline Plus, The US National Library of Medicine website notes them:
- “Swallowing of air (a nervous habit).
- Accumulation of fluids in the abdomen (this may be a sign of a serious health problem).
- Gas in the intestine from eating foods rich in fiber (such as fruits and vegetables).
- Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Lactose intolerance.
- ovarian cysts.
- Partial bowel obstruction.
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
- Weight gain”.
Abdominal bloating often goes away on its own or with changes in diet and lifestyle. For this, it is important to consult a doctor and receive the appropriate advice.
In case of presenting the following symptoms, it is recommended to consult a doctor:
- Persistent or severe abdominal pain.
- bloody stools
- Changes in the color or frequency of stools.
- Unintentional weight loss.
- Chest discomfort.
- Loss of appetite or feeling full quickly.
Ginger is a root commonly used in the kitchen to prepare different foods. As a drink it is also an option, especially to reduce abdominal inflammation.
Nutritionist Nieves Cuesta told the magazine fashion the benefits of ginger for the body. It is a root that can be considered a “natural anti-inflammatory that improves digestion and deflates tissues.”
Along the same lines, the nutritionist Cristina Troncoso added that “ginger infusions will help us relieve nausea, since they reduce reflux and gastric acidity and, therefore, reduce inflammation of the abdomen,” she pointed out.
This is a great remedy to combat swelling in the abdomen. It is an option to consume after having eaten a copious dish. It is recommended to consume it at night, because in addition to helping digestion, it also favors a good rest.
Drinks prepared with mint provide a feeling of well-being and contribute to good digestion, indicates better with health, portal specializing in health and personal care. “One of the unique properties is that it has a very fresh taste. If we wish, we can add a little lemon or, also, some honey. It is better to consume it only after the main meal. At night, better to opt for chamomile”, highlights the website.
With several bay leaves and hot water, you can prepare a suitable infusion to relieve abdominal swelling. Its consumption should be moderated.
This herb is characterized by having an anti-inflammatory effect, which is a good option to relieve an inflamed abdomen.
Irritable bowel syndrome
The most common symptoms of irritable bowel include:
- Abdominal pain and cramps.
- Changes in bowel habits, can be diarrhea (IBS-D) or constipation (IBS-C).
Other symptoms may indicate a more serious condition. Some of these signs can be:
- Onset of signs and symptoms after age 50.
- Rectal bleeding.
- Recurrent nausea or vomiting.
- Abdominal pain, especially if it is not related to a bowel movement, or occurs at night.
- Persistent or waking diarrhea.
- Anemia related to low iron concentrations.
Changes in diet are one of the recommendations that experts point out to alleviate the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. A doctor should be consulted for proper indications.