The stools of people who suffer from constipation can be hard and dry. Sometimes the evacuation is painful. All people suffer from this disorder at some time; In most cases, it lasts a short time and does not bring serious complications, as explained by the Medline Plus health and medicine portal.
There are many things that can be done to prevent constipation, depending on the medium.
- Eat more fruits, vegetables, and grains, which are rich in fiber.
- Drink plenty of water and other fluids (experts recommend consuming six to eight glasses of water a day, which is equivalent to two liters).
- Get enough exercise.
- Take time to evacuate when necessary.
- Take laxatives only if your doctor prescribes them.
- Ask your doctor if the medicines you take can cause constipation.
Just as there are foods that help improve the symptoms of this disorder, there are others that exacerbate them; therefore, it is recommended to avoid them and more so when you have constipation problems. The portal of health, beauty and personal care Body and Mind mentions some:
- Drinks with alcohol: These types of drinks usually cause constipation, since they have a diuretic and dehydrating effect. In addition, they block a hormone (vasopressin) that protects the body from dehydration. Alcohol causes the body to dry out, including the intestines. As a result, the bowel movement does not usually occur as usual. This substance also damages the flora, damages the intestinal mucosa and favors the development of hyperpermeable intestine syndrome; disorder whose symptom is constipation and diarrhea.
- White bread: White or refined flours do not contain a good amount of fiber, therefore those who suffer from constipation should avoid consuming elaborate products, such as bread, biscuits, cookies, pastries, etc. On the other hand, wholemeal flours and the products made with them are rich in fiber, which helps increase the volume of stool, stimulates intestinal peristalsis and, therefore, accelerates the excretion of stool. Each additional gram of fiber reduces the risk of constipation by 1.8%.
- Milk and dairy products: These types of products cause diarrhea in some people, especially in those who are lactose intolerant; however, they can also cause constipation in others. The media mentions that in children, the reason for constipation may be related to an intolerance to milk protein.
- Meat: This protein does not contain fiber since within its components there is no substance that promotes digestion. The medium mentions that “if you eat meat with French fries, pasta or white rice and avoid salads and vegetables, sooner or later you will suffer from constipation.”
- Fried and fast foods: People who frequently eat fried foods and fast food are at increased risk of constipation. In general, these foods have a high content of trans fat, salt and sugar, and at the same time, they do not provide any type of nutrient. “The high content of salt and, at the same time, the lack of water and fiber in fast food, dries out the stool, because the body has to dilute the salt and for this it extracts water from the intestines.”
- Eggs: This cooked product can cause constipation in some people, so it is recommended to consume it in the company of foods rich in fiber to prevent this symptom.
- Coffee and tea: these products contain tannins and caffeine. Both substances can promote constipation, especially when left to stand for too long.