The danish restaurant “geranium” was chosen this Monday as “best restaurant in the world 2022“Receiving the main award of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants (The best 50 restaurants in the world, in Spanish), during a ceremony held in London. The Argentinafor its part, appears in position 14 con the grill “Don Julio”located in the Buenos Aires neighborhood of Palermo, which fell one position in relation to the 2021 ranking, where it had been 13th.
The gastronomic space selected in the first position of the ranking is located in Copenhagen and is directed by Chef Rasmus Kofoed, 47 years old and vegetarian. In 2016, it became the first Danish restaurant to receive three Michelin stars.
“Geranium” stands out for its dishes without red meat, focused only on seafood and vegetables local organic and biodynamic farms in Denmark and Scandinavia. As officially reported, the venue offers a local tasting menu that changes “according to the season of the year”.
“Each dish is an intricate work of art served on nature-inspired crockery”remarked on the proposal of Kofoed the experts of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants.
This is the second year in a row that a Danish restaurant has received the award. In 2021, “Geranium” came in second place behind “No mom“, which is also located in the Danish capital
On this occasion, second remained “Central”, located in Lima (Peru)which was highlighted by “the best food that land and sea have to offer.”
“Scallops, squid and clams come fresh from the coast and the Amazon, while the Sacred Valley offers pork belly and goat neck, among much more,” they added.
How the winners are selected
The World’s 50 Best Restaurants, a classification created in 2002 by the British gastronomic magazine Restaurant to compete with the star system of the Michelin guide, it is established from the votes of 1,000 peoplebetween chefs, journalists and experts, who rate their culinary experiences in the last 18 months.
These specialists are distributed in 27 regions of the world, and each one can choose 10 restaurants, of which at least three must be outside your geographic region.
For the delivery of the mentions and awards, a city in the world is chosen. For this edition, the ceremony was initially planned in Moscowbut moved to London due to the war between Russia and Ukraine.
The legitimacy of this classification, sponsored by various brands, is often disputed, especially by French chefs who accuse the list of “complacency and opacity”.
The 50 best according to The World’s Best Restaurants
- Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Central (Lima, Peru)
- Enjoy (Barcelona, Spain)
- DiverXO (Madrid, Spain)
- Pujol (Mexico City, Mexico)
- Etxebarri (Axpe, Biscay)
- A Casa Do Porco (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- Lido 84 (Gardone Riviera, Italy)
- Quintonil (Mexico City, Mexico)
- Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
- Maido (Lima, Peru)
- Uliassi (Senigallia, Italy)
- Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)
- Don Julio (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
- Reale (Castel Di Sangro, Italy)
- Elkano (Getaria, Spain)
- Nobelhart & Schmutzig (Berlin, Germany)
- Alchemist (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)
- Dan (Tokyo, Japan)
- Mugaritz (San Sebastian, Spain)
- Septime (Paris, France)
- The Jane (Antwerp, Belgium)
- The Chairman (Hong Kong, China)
- Frantzén (Stockholm, Sweden)
- Restaurant Tim Raue (Berlin, Germany)
- Hof Van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)
- Le Clarence (Paris, France)
- St Hubertus (San Cassiano, Italy)
- Florilège (Tokyo, Japan)
- Arpege (Paris, France)
- Mayta (Lima, Peru)
- Atomix (New York, USA)
- Hisa Franko (Kobarid, Slovenia)
- The Clove Club (London, UK)
- Odette (Singapore)
- Fyn (Cape Town, South Africa)
- Jordnær (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Sorn (Bangkok, Thailand)
- Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Germany)
- La Cime (Osaka, Japan)
- Quique Dacosta (Denia, Spain)
- Borago (Santiago, Chile)
- Le Bernardin (New York, USA)
- Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
- Belcanto (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Oteque (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- Leo (Bogota, Colombia)
- Ikoyi (London, UK)
- Singlethread (Healdsburg, USA)